Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Cosplay How To - Coloring Eyebrows

I picked up this technique a while ago on the cosplay.com forums and I still refer some of my dark-haired friends to it. However, I've never actually done it myself! So I'm putting my money where my mouth is and my prop-making supplies all over my face.

So this technique is especially helpful for people with dark hair that want to go lighter without bleaching their eyebrows. Its also just generally helpful for all hair colors if you want something that is long-lasting and cheap.


So first you'll want to gather your supplies. I used:
  • Washable school glue.
  • Acrylic paint
  • A small paintbrush. ( I chose a stiff, flat brush. I think an angled brush would work even better.)
  • A wig, and other necessary stuff for putting it on my head. (I mean, the whole point is for my eyebrows to match my wig!)

Before you start anything, it is extraordinarily helpful to neaten up your eyebrows so that they are the shape and thickness that you want and that all the hairs are running in the same direction
  1. Squeeze some glue onto you finger, or directly onto your eyebrow.
  2. Smooth it onto your eyebrows. Try smoothing it on with your paintbrush or with an eyebrow comb for a more textured effect.
  3. While you're waiting for the glue to dry, mix your eyebrow color.
  4. Is the glue dry? Really? Gummy glue is really not easy to paint on, so be sure!
  5. Okay, so if the glue is dry, carefully paint on your eyebrows.If you're making your eyebrows thinner, you can add some foundation first, then paint your eyebrows.
  6. Here's an article for a good basic brow shape.
  7. Keep some wet Q-tips around to clean up any mistakes or flaking glue.
  8. And you're done!

Before and After

A bonus that this method has over any other kind of makeup technique is the ease of removal. Wash it out or just pull it off of your face. (It you're a fidgety person you may want to carry a repair kit with you in case you pull the color off.)

No comments:

Post a Comment